Oxygen element (O) is in group 16 and period 2 of a periodic table. Oxygen is in the p-block and it is classified as an oxygen group element (chalcogens) on the periodic table.
There is a lot more information related to oxygen which is mentioned in the Information Table given below.
So let’s dive right into it!
Table of contents
- Oxygen element (Information Table)
- Oxygen element in Periodic table
- Facts about Oxygen
- Properties of Oxygen
- Uses of Oxygen
Oxygen Element (Information Table)
The important data related to oxygen element is given in the table below.
|Appearance of oxygen||Colorless gas|
|Atomic number of oxygen||8|
|Symbol of oxygen||O|
|Atomic mass of oxygen||15.999 u|
|Protons, Neutrons & Electrons in oxygen||Protons: 8, Neutrons: 8, Electrons: 8|
|State of oxygen (at STP)||Gas|
|Group number of oxygen in periodic table||16|
|Period number of oxygen in periodic table||2|
|Block of oxygen in periodic table||p-block|
|Category of oxygen||Nonmetals (Chalcogens)|
|Bohr model or Electrons per shell or Electrons arrangement in oxygen||2, 6|
|Electron configuration of oxygen||[He] 2s2 2p4|
|Orbital diagram of oxygen|
|Valence electrons in oxygen||6|
|Electronegativity of oxygen (on pauling scale)||3.44|
|Atomic radius of oxygen (van der Waals radius)||152 picometers|
|Density of oxygen||1.43 g/L|
|1st ionization energy of oxygen||13.61 eV|
|Main isotope of oxygen||16O|
|Melting point of oxygen||54.36 K or -218.79 °C or -361.82 °F|
|Boiling point of oxygen||90.188 K or -182.962 °C or -297.332 °F|
|Crystal structure of oxygen||Simple cubic|
|Discovery of oxygen||By Carl Wilhelm Scheele in 1771|
Also see: Interactive Periodic Table (It has rotating bohr models as well as many other details of all the 118 elements in a single periodic table).
Oxygen element in Periodic table
The Oxygen element (O) has the atomic number 8 and is located in group 16 and period 2. Oxygen is a nonmetal and it is classified as a chalcogen element.
Facts about oxygen
Here are a few interesting facts about oxygen element.
- In gaseous state, oxygen gas appears as a colorless gas. But in its liquid state, it appears in pale-blue color.
- Oxygen does not exist as a single atom, but it always exists as a divalent molecule (O2).
- The 3rd most abundant element found in the universe is oxygen.
- Oxygen is essential for all the living organisms for their survival.
- The plants also produce oxygen during the photosynthesis process. Phytoplankton are the sea plants that produce the majority of oxygen on the earth.
- Oxygen gas helps in the combustion process, but it does not burn on its own.
- Around 21% of the earth’s atmosphere is oxygen.
- Approximately 4.9ml of oxygen is dissolved in the 1 liter of seawater.
- Human body is made up of water (H2O) which contains oxygen in it. Oxygen contributes around 2/3rd of the human body mass.
Properties of oxygen
Here is a list of some physical properties and chemical properties of oxygen.
Physical properties of oxygen
- Oxygen is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas.
- In liquid state, the oxygen shows pale-blue color.
- The melting point and boiling point of oxygen is 54.36 K and 90.188 K respectively.
- The oxygen gas shows more solubility than the nitrogen gas. Moreover the solubility of oxygen is also dependent on the temperature.
- Ozone is the allotrope of oxygen which is found in the upper atmosphere of the earth.
- Ozone has a bluish appearance in both gaseous as well as liquid state.
Chemical properties of oxygen
- At STP, the 2 oxygen atoms combine and form a dioxygen molecule (i.e O2).
- Oxygen atom reacts with other elements to form the oxides.
- After fluorine, oxygen is the second strong oxidizing agent.
- Oxygen is a helper of combustion, that means it helps other substances to burn.
- Oxygen reacts with metals at room temperature in the presence of moisture and this results in corrosion of metals.
Uses of oxygen
Here are some uses of the oxygen element.
- Oxygen is widely used with other fuel gases. In oxy acetylene gas welding, the oxygen gas is used with acetylene gas.
- The oxygen gas is also used in blast furnaces to increase the combustion temperatures.
- Liquid fueled rockets also contain liquid oxygen that is used as an oxidizing agent.
- Oxygen also has its applications in the breathing apparatus used in hospitals.
- Scuba divers, underwater welding (or any other work), mountaineers, etc use oxygen tank.
- Oxygen is also used in the biological treatment of sewage water plants.