Aluminum element (Al) is in group 13 and period 3 of a periodic table. Aluminum is in the p-block and it is classified as a post-transition element on the periodic table.
There is a lot more information related to aluminum which is mentioned in the Information Table given below.
So let’s dive right into it!
Table of contents
- Aluminum element (Information Table)
- Aluminum element in Periodic table
- Facts about Aluminum
- Properties of Aluminum
- Uses of Aluminum
Aluminum Element (Information Table)
The important data related to aluminum element is given in the table below.
|Appearance of aluminum||Silvery gray|
|Atomic number of aluminum||13|
|Symbol of aluminum||Al|
|Atomic mass of aluminum||26.982 u|
|Protons, Neutrons & Electrons in aluminum||Protons: 13, Neutrons: 14, Electrons: 13|
|State of aluminum (at STP)||Solid|
|Group number of aluminum in periodic table||13|
|Period number of aluminum in periodic table||3|
|Block of aluminum in periodic table||p-block|
|Category of aluminum||Post transition element (boron group)|
|Bohr model or Electrons per shell or Electrons arrangement in aluminum||2, 8, 3|
|Electron configuration of aluminum||[Ne] 3s2 3p1|
|Orbital diagram of aluminum|
|Valence electrons in aluminum||3|
|Electronegativity of aluminum (on pauling scale)||1.61|
|Atomic radius of aluminum (van der Waals radius)||184 picometers|
|Density of aluminum||2.7 g/cm3|
|1st ionization energy of aluminum||5.986 eV|
|Main isotope of aluminum||27Al|
|Melting point of aluminum||933.47 K or 660.3 °C or 1220.5 °F|
|Boiling point of aluminum||2743 K or 2470 °C or 4478 °F|
|Crystal structure of aluminum||Face Centered Cubic (FCC)|
|Discovery of aluminum||By Hans Christian in 1824|
Also see: Interactive Periodic Table (It has rotating bohr models as well as many other details of all the 118 elements in a single periodic table).
Aluminum element in Periodic table
The Aluminum element (Al) has the atomic number 13 and is located in group 13 and period 3. Aluminum is a metal and it is classified as a post-transition element.
Facts about aluminum
Here are a few interesting facts about aluminum element.
- The aluminum element is the 3rd most abundant element found from the earth’s crust (followed by oxygen and silicon).
- If only metals are considered, then the aluminum metal is the most abundant element present in the earth’s crust.
- Aluminum metal can reflect the heat as well as light.
- Recycling aluminum is very easy. Because of this reason, around 75% of total aluminum is still in use today.
- Aluminum is nontoxic for humans but it is toxic for fish.
- The weight of aluminum is 1/3rd the weight of steel.
Properties of aluminum
Here is a list of some physical properties and chemical properties of aluminum.
Physical properties of aluminum
- Aluminum has a silvery-gray shiny appearance.
- Aluminum is lightweight metal having a density of 2.7 g/cm3.
- Aluminum can be easily formed into different shapes because of its ductility.
- The stable isotope of aluminum is 27Al.
- The strength of aluminum is less and so it is alloyed with other elements to increase its strength.
- Aluminum has good thermal conductivity as well as electrical conductivity.
Chemical properties of aluminum
- When aluminum is kept open in the air, it forms a thin oxide layer and this layer protects the surface from corrosion.
- The aluminum metal is highly affected by salts like NaCl.
- Various compounds of aluminum like aluminum halides, aluminum sulfides as well as aluminum nitrides are known.
Uses of aluminum
Here are some uses of the aluminum element.
- Aluminum is used in packaging of foods because it reflects the heat. This keeps the food warm for a longer time.
- Aluminum is also used in medicines that help in reducing acidity.
- Aluminum can block light, oxygen, bacteria as well as microorganisms. Because of this the aluminum foil is used in packaging of medicines.
- Aluminum has a good thermal conductivity so it is used in some heat transfer applications.
- Because of its good electrical conductivity, it is also used in electrical appliances.
- Aluminum is used in airplanes which reduces its weight a lot.