Darmstadtium element (Ds) is in group 10 and period 7 of a periodic table. Darmstadtium is in the d-block and it is classified as a radioactive synthetic element on the periodic table.
There is a lot more information related to darmstadtium which is mentioned in the Information Table given below.
So let’s dive right into it!
Table of contents
- Darmstadtium element (Information Table)
- Darmstadtium element in Periodic table
- Facts about Darmstadtium
- Properties of Darmstadtium
- Uses of Darmstadtium
Darmstadtium Element (Information Table)
The important data related to darmstadtium element is given in the table below.
|Atomic number of darmstadtium||110|
|Symbol of darmstadtium||Ds|
|Atomic mass of darmstadtium (most stable isotope)||281 u|
|Protons, Neutrons & Electrons in darmstadtium||Protons: 110, Neutrons: 151, Electrons: 110|
|State of darmstadtium (at STP)||Solid (predicted)|
|Group number of darmstadtium in periodic table||10|
|Period number of darmstadtium in periodic table||7|
|Block of darmstadtium in periodic table||d-block|
|Category of darmstadtium||Synthetic element|
|Bohr model or Electrons per shell or Electrons arrangement in darmstadtium||2, 8, 18, 32, 32, 16, 2|
|Electron configuration of darmstadtium||[Rn] 5f14 6d8 7s2|
|Orbital diagram of darmstadtium|
|Density of darmstadtium (predicted)||26-27 g/cm3|
|Crystal structure of darmstadtium (predicted)||Body Centered Cubic (BCC)|
Also see: Interactive Periodic Table (It has rotating bohr models as well as many other details of all the 118 elements in a single periodic table).
Darmstadtium element in Periodic table
The Darmstadtium element (Ds) has the atomic number 110 and is located in group 10 and period 7.
Click on above elements in the periodic table to see their information.
Facts about darmstadtium
Here are a few interesting facts about darmstadtium element.
- Peter Armbruster and Gottfried Münzenberg discovered darmstadtium under the guidance of Sigurd Hofmann.
- Darmstadtium is named after “Darmstadt”, which is a city in Germany.
- Darmstadtium is artificially made in the lab and it is not available naturally.
- Darmstadtium has around 9 isotopes and all the isotopes are radioactive in nature.
- 281Ds is the isotope of darmstadtium which is most stable with a half-life of only 12.5 seconds.
Properties of darmstadtium
Here is a list of some physical properties and chemical properties of darmstadtium.
- The darmstadtium element has a very short half-life and so it is highly radioactive.
- Darmstadtium is predicted to have solid state at room temperature.
- Darmstadtium has BCC crystal structure (predicted).
- The density of darmstadtium is predicted between 26-27 g/cm3 and its most stable isotope has a predicted atomic mass 281 amu.
- Darmstadtium shows different oxidations like +6, +4 and +2.
Uses of darmstadtium
Darmstadtium has no commercial uses due to its scarcity and radioactivity. It is generally used for research work.
- Darmstadtium – Element information, properties and uses | Periodic Table. (n.d.). Darmstadtium – Element Information, Properties and Uses | Periodic Table. https://www.rsc.org/periodic-table/element/110/darmstadtium
- Darmstadtium – Wikipedia. (2012, October 19). Darmstadtium – Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmstadtium
- Darmstadtium | chemical element. (n.d.). Encyclopedia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/science/darmstadtium
- Possolo, et al. (2018, January 4). Interpreting and propagating the uncertainty of the standard atomic weights (IUPAC Technical Report). Pure and Applied Chemistry, 90(2), 395–424. https://doi.org/10.1515/pac-2016-0402
- Haynes, W. M. (Ed.). (2014, June 4). CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. https://doi.org/10.1201/b17118
- Electronic structure of the elements. (2000, March). The European Physical Journal C, 15(1–4), 78–79. https://doi.org/10.1007/bf02683401
- It’s Elemental – The Element Darmstadtium. (n.d.). It’s Elemental – the Element Darmstadtium. https://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele110.html
- P. (n.d.). Darmstadtium | Ds (Element) – PubChem. Darmstadtium | Ds (Element) – PubChem. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/element/Darmstadtium
- C&EN: IT’S ELEMENTAL: THE PERIODIC TABLE – DARMSTADTIUM AND BEYOND. (n.d.). C&EN: IT’S ELEMENTAL: THE PERIODIC TABLE – DARMSTADTIUM AND BEYOND. https://pubsapp.acs.org/cen/80th/darmstadtium.html?
Jay is an educator and has helped more than 100,000 students in their studies by providing simple and easy explanations on different science-related topics. With a desire to make learning accessible for everyone, he founded Knords Learning, an online chemistry learning platform that provides students with easily understandable explanations.
Read more about our Editorial process.